Schedule your colorectal cancer screening in March
March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. This is designed to highlight the importance of screening or colorectal cancer, as well as to promote healthy lifestyle habits that can decrease a person’s risk of developing cancer of the colon or rectum.
Providers recommend regular screening begin at age 45 as a key to preventing this type of cancer. The minimum age was lowered from 50 to 45 in 2021 with annual screenings recommended by the CDC.
According to the CDC, tips to help keep your colon healthy include:
- Exercising and staying active
- Keeping a healthy weight
- Drinking water regularly
- Consuming a high fiber diet with may fruits, vegetables and whole grains
- Limiting red meat and processed foods
- Limiting alcohol consumption
- Avoiding tobacco
We also wanted to share a few educational resources you may find interesting.
- A Colorectal Education Toolkit filled with information for consumers from the American College of Gastroenterolgy
- American Cancer Society’s Colorectal Cancer Fact Sheet
- Educational Colorectal Cancer Videos from the American Cancer Society
This is a great time to schedule your colorectal cancer exam with your Advantage provider. Call us to schedule your checkup at 313-416-6262 or book online. Patients can also walk in to get a screening as well without an appointment.