About Advantage Health Centers
Detroit Health Care for the Homeless, Inc. incorporated in 1986 to improve the health of our most vulnerable population. In 2003, DHCH expanded its mission to include all of those who are uninsured, or who live in areas where there are not enough doctors available.
Since then, DHCH has done business as Advantage Health Centers and now operates a network of medical and dental clinics.
As a federally qualified health center (FQHC) agency, Advantage is governed by a consumer-majority, volunteer Board of Directors. Advantage is a 501(c) (3) non-profit agency.
Advantage Health Centers is dedicated to providing comprehensive healthcare and support services to Metro Detroit’s community and those experiencing homelessness regardless of source of payment.
Patient Centered Medical Home
Welcome to Advantage Health Centers! We are committed to being your partner in healthcare.
What is a Patient Centered Medical Home?
- A medical home where you and your family can have short term illnesses and chronic health care needs addressed
- The opportunity for you to have a hands on role in your health care and a partnership with the provider of your choice
- Increased access to your health care provider; Coordinated health care services and follow-up
- Access to evidenced based medical care and support for self management of chronic disease
What you can expect from us…
- You are our #1 priority
- Together, you and your provider develop your health care plan
- Your provider leads your care team at all times
- You and your care team work together to reach your health goals
What we expect from you…
- Utilize AHC as your medical home for short term illness & chronic health care
- Follow your health care plan; make healthy lifestyle decisions
- Keep scheduled appointments
- Provide feedback on how we can improve our services
- Talk to your health care team
- Let us know what medications and/or supplements you are taking
- Let us know of any changes in your health or symptoms you are feeling
- Tell us when you have had a visit with another provider or an emergency room visit
This health center receives HHS funding and has Federal Public Health Service (PHS) deemed status with respect to certain health or health-related claims, including medical malpractice claims, for itself and its covered individuals.
The following services are available directly at one of the five (5) AHC sites, or by referral to a participating partner.
- Family Medicine Residency Program
- Medical care for adults and children
- Screening for HIV, breast and cervical cancer
- Flu Shots ($10 for the public)
- Prescription assistance
- Social work services
- Family planning
- Laboratory services
- HIV testing and counseling
- TB testing
- Referral to substance abuse treatment
- Referral to mental health treatment
- Assistance in locating emergency/temporary housing, shelter
- Pre-employment and sports physicals
- Behavioral Health services (on-site)
- Women’s Health services
- Dental Care
Partners and Affiliations
Community Health Center and Homeless Health Center Funding
Nurse Practitioner Program
Health System Partner
Mental Health Services
Pharmacy and Laboratory
Affiliation of safety net providers
Association of Federally Qualified Health Centers
Association of safety net providers
Nurse Practitioner Training
Mental Health Services
Consumer public health information
Board of Directors
President: Nutrena Tate, PhD, APRN, CPNP-PC
Vice Chair: Brandon Brice, MS
Treasurer: Stacie Durant, CPA
Corporate Secretary: Brandon Davis, BS
Ty Faulkner, MBA, MS, HIT
Charles Felton, MHSA
Abby Freeman, PhD
Brian Jones, MBA
Katrina McCree, MA
Latricia Miles, MBA
Cynthia Nichols-Jackson, RN, BSN, MSN
William Luse, MBA
Cynthia Taueq, DHA, MPH, BSN
Patricia White, MBA, FACHE
Yolanda Williams-Davis, MBA
Emeritus: Les Bowman, MBA
Emeritus: George D. Gaines, Jr. MSW, MPH
Emeritus: Kathy R. Harris, PhD
In 1982, Dr. John Waller, Ph.D., Detroit Public Health Director, had a vision for better community health. He founded Detroit Care for the Homeless, and began providing care for the underserved in Metro Detroit.
In 1986, Detroit Health Care for the Homeless was incorporated and operated as such until 2004, when it began doing business as Advantage Health Centers.
Since, Advantage has both grown and expanded its reach and service provisions. With five health centers located through Detroit and Warren, AHC provides quality medical, dental and behaviors health to everyone, regardless of their ability to pay.
It also operates the Children’s Dental Center, one of the largest pediatric dental practice in Michigan. In partnership with DMC-Tenet, AHC trains family physician medicine residents at the Thea Bowman Community Health Center.
Change continues to shape AHC as we adjust to meet growing community needs. While maintaining the integrity of our historical platform, the best is yet to come.